Albuquerque, NM – The Albuquerque Fire Rescue is on the scene of a natural gas explosion in northeast Albuquerque Monday morning near Girard and Constitution. According to AFR, the initial call was of an explosion, but now they are working on a house fire that was caused by the gas explosion.
The explosion happened at 1241 Princeton DR NE. AFR says at this time there are no reports of any injuries. Neighbors say they were woken up to a loud explosion. While at least 15 fire trucks responded, crews say the house was fully engulfed in flames and had already collapsed by the time they got there.
“There was a large boom, and our whole house shook. We thought it was the neighbors next door, who were knocking down some trees and shortly after we saw some smoke coming out of a house,” said Rosie Ortega, a neighbor.
Information at this time is limited. KRQE News 13 will continue to provide updates as more information is released. Five houses in the area also had to be evacuated.