Blaine, MN – This morning a residential home in Blaine experienced a carbon monoxide incident that resulted in eight people needing treatment.
At 6:40 a.m. July 19 the Blaine Police Department and the Spring Lake Park-Blaine-Mounds View Fire Department were dispatched on a report of a suspected gas odor on the 4000 block of 105th Lane Northeast in Blaine.
SBM firefighters arrived to find eight family members outsidethe home experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas formed by the incomplete combustion of fuels. When people are exposed to carbon monoxide, the gas’s molecules will displace the oxygen in their bodies, leading to poisoning.
According to the Mayo Clinic, symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include a dull headache, weakness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision and loss of consciousness.
Firefighters used air monitoring equipment to determine levels of the home to be at least 216 parts per million of carbon monoxide inside the home.
CenterPoint Energy was called to the scene to verify levels of carbon monoxide and determined the source to be a water heater in the utility room.
All eight residents were evaluated by Allina emergency medical services and found to have elevated levels of carbon monoxide in their bloodstream. All eight were transported to a hospital in Minneapolis.
We are thankful that this incident did not end in tragedy and glad the family recognized their symptoms and called 911, said SBM Assistant Chief Maddison Zikmund in a statement.
The SBM Fire Department reported it responds to an average of four carbon monoxide incidents per week, most of which are minor.
According to SBM Fire Department fire and life safety educator Becky Booker, carbon monoxide leaks can occur with any fuel-burning appliance that isn’t being properly maintained, such as stoves, generators and heaters. She said carbon monoxide leaks can occur not only in homes but also vehicles and boats.
Booker said it’s very important to regularly change the batteries in carbon monoxide detectors and make sure the detectors are functioning properly. Detectors must also be replaced every five to seven years, or every 10 years for lithium battery-powered detectors.
For more information about carbon monoxide and alarms visit, bit.ly/2YhiHW5.