Lakeland, FL — Four adults and four children staying at a hotel have been treated for carbon monoxide poisoning, the Lakeland Fire Department said.

Eight guests at Sleep Inn & Suites Lakeland, 4321 Lakeland Park Drive, were hospitalized after being exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide Sunday, fire officials said.

Firefighters were dispatched Sunday at 11 a.m. for a hazardous condition at the hotel, just north of I-4 off of Socrum Loop Road. While en route, firefighters were told that there were multiple patients and the hotel was told to evacuate all guests.

Firefighters found several people outside the hotel needing assistance when they arrived, according to a news release. They set up a triage area and treated patients who told the hotel manager they weren’t feeling well and said their hotel rooms had a strange odor.

LFD said the hotel rooms belonging to guests on the second floor produced carbon monoxide readings of 160 parts per million. Disorientation, unconsciousness and death are possible at carbon monoxide concentrations above 150, according to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission.

After testing more floors in other areas of the hotel, LFD said crews opened all he windows and doors, ventilated the property and gave control back to hotel management once the levels were 0 ppm.