Jefferson, NY — Fifty-three camp counselors from the Oorah’s Boy Zone Camp in Delaware County have been hospitalized for exposure to carbon monoxide.
Officials tell us the incident happened Thursday morning at 8:12 a.m. and that up to 15 campers were put on oxygen, then taken to the hospital. A total of 53 were hospitalized.
Schoharie county officials who responded say the cause was due to a faulty hot water heater, however the facility manager says they believe an animal knocked over an exhaust pipe, and that it has since been repaired.
One or two of them reported not feeling well, or feeling groggy. Emergency crews evacuated the building, according to an official from the camp.
According to the Camp Communications Director, everyone has been discharged besides one staff member. The staff member is in good spirits, but the hospital would like to monitor him for a bit longer just to be on the safe side.