Okfuskee County, OK – Two teenagers in eastern Oklahoma died over the weekend of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning after storms knocked out power.

According to Tulsa-area television station KTUL, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation learned that two boys, friends who were 14 and 15 years old, brought a portable gas generator inside a travel trailer when Sunday night’s storms knocked out the power in Okfuskee County. The 14-year-old boy’s father went to check on them after they stopped answering their cellphones and discovered they had died.

The 15-year-old boy’s mother told KTUL that she’s shocked about what happened to her boy, identified as Matthew Harrison.

“Matt got the idea to take the generator in the trailer and they’d have electricity,” LeAnn Harrison said. “You never put a generator in a trailer.”

She said she doesn’t think she’ll be able to step inside the trailer again.

“It’s going to take a while to forget that image. I’m going to think of the good things,” Harrison said. “You couldn’t ask more out of the boy.”