South Haven Township, MI — Two people were seriously injured after a house exploded in South Haven Township Tuesday evening, officials said.
It happened just before 6 p.m. on 2nd Avenue near 71 1/2 Street.
Firefighters told News 8 a propane tank caused the home to catch fire and explode. The one-story ranch style home disintegrated after the explosion, the South Haven Area Emergency Services said.
“The house was evidently exploded and there was debris everywhere in the yard and it was on fire,” Brandon Hinz with SHAES said.
Two people were inside the home at the time, authorities say. Neighbors rescued the two victims, a man and a woman, before they were taken to the hospital for treatment.
The fire was extinguished by SHAES and other surrounding agencies.
Crews were assessing the damage Tuesday night and the incident is being investigated.