Ionia County, MI – Two people nearly died after they were overcome by carbon monoxide in a home, police said.
The victims, an 81-year-old woman and 59-year-old man, were unconscious and had stopped breathing when rescuers pulled them outside. They were revived by paramedics and firefighters.
They are in critical but stable condition, Ionia County sheriff’s deputies said.
Rescuers responded around 1 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 12, to a home in the 4000 block of Jackson Road in Ionia County’s Boston Township. A 911 caller who was checking on the two found them unresponsive inside the home.
Sheriff’s deputies, Saranac firefighters and Life EMS paramedics responded. Those first on the scene removed the victims from the house. Early investigation showed that the exhaust from the furnace had a leak, filling the house with carbon monoxide.
The victims were taken to Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital.
There were no carbon-monoxide detectors inside the house. Police urged everyone to have detectors in their homes and have furnaces serviced.