Omaha, AR  – Boone County, Ark. investigators say a man and a child died and two women suffered critical injuries from carbon monoxide poisoning after using an alternative heating source.

Deputies responded to the home Monday after a call for unresponsive individuals found at a home off of New Hope Road. Deputies found Eston Warren, 59, dead inside a small storage structure where the family was living. Deputies also found Betty Warren, 50, Amber Warren, 29 and a nine-year-old girl alive, but unresponsive. The child later died at a hospital. The two women survived, but remain in critical condition at a Springfield hospital.

Investigators determined the family suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning due to the kerosene heaters being utilized within the small space.

“This incident is a tragic case that has occurred to this family and is not intended to spread shame,” said Sheriff Tim Roberson. “It needs to be emphasized as a reminder to take reflection on your own family’s safety during difficult times due to weather.”