Asheville, NC – Police are investigating carbon monoxide poisoning as the culprit behind two deaths in Asheville’s Best Western hotel this month.

On June 9, Jacob Galloway, 28, and James Landreth, 39, were found dead in room 244 of the Best Western hotel on Tunnel Road. Now, the Asheville Police and Fire departments are investigating their deaths as potential carbon monoxide poisoning.

According to a search warrant filed by APD Detective Jason Hunter, Galloway and Landreth had traveled to Asheville on June 7 to participate in a rugby tournament. Their team reportedly won the tournament, and Galloway and Landreth had been out celebrating on the night of June 8.

At 11:55 a.m. June 9, a third roommate in room 244 woke up and found Galloway and Landreth dead, according to the warrant.

After the deaths were reported, both APD and the Asheville Fire Department responded to the East Asheville Best Western. “Due to recent events involving deaths at hotels due to carbon monoxide, Asheville Fire Department was contacted for air quality monitoring,” Hunter wrote in the warrant.

Fire Chief Shane Mackey investigated a utility room at the Best Western with two hot water heaters, two air heaters and an exhaust pipe that was not vented to the outside of the building, the warrant stated. The utility room was directly behind and below room 244, where Galloway and Landreth slept.

According to Mackey, if carbon monoxide was leaking from the utility closet, the poisonous gas would be found in room 244.

A carbon monoxide detector can save lives in homes. (Photo: File Photo)

Hunter found no indication of drug use in room 244. “I also did not observe any injuries on either of the deceased that would indicate foul play,” the APD officer wrote in the warrant.

The Office of the State Medical Examiner completed autopsies of Galloway and Landreth on June 10 and 11. According to APD spokeswoman Christina Hallingse, the preliminary results and toxicology reports could take between six to eight months to complete.