Peoria, IL – Peoria Firefighters and Paramedics responded to what seemed to be a routine medical call around 3:45 Sunday afternoon. When they arrived to the home in the 1300 block of W. Holly Hedges Dr. first responders saw “numerous unconscious or altered conscious adult individuals as well as numerous pets that appeared lethargic and ill,” according to Battalion Chief Nate Rice.

He said they quickly realized the situation was much more dangerous and complex than the initial call insinuated. They encountered “extremely high and dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.”

Crews quickly exited the residence to put on oxygen masks before re-entering. Several additional Fire Companies were called in to help, a total of 20 Firefighters/Paramedics. Peoria Police were called along with several ambulances to help stabilize victims.

The crews began pulling victims from the home and outfitting them with breathing packs. The initial individuals were found on the main floor of the residence as well as 3 dogs and 2 cats. A total of 6 adults were located and transported to local hospitals.

One victim was found unresponsive and not breathing. Due to emergency life saving measures, the victim regained a pulse and began breathing.

The condition of all victims is unknown at this time.

After Peoria Police and Fire Department investigators searched the home, they determined the source of the carbon monoxide leak was likely a pool heater inside the residence.

No firefighters or first responders were injured.