Storm Lake, IA – A Storm Lake man was taken to the hospital after he was left nearly unconscious from carbon monoxide fumes after working with a gas-powered saw inside a home.

Shortly before 8 p.m. on Saturday, the Storm Lake Fire Department was called to 1115 Spooner Street in reference to a carbon monoxide incident.

Authorities say two men were using the saws in the basement of the home and became overtaken from the exhaust fumes.

One of the men was taken to Buena Vista Regional Medical Center while the other man was able to escape unharmed.

Firefighters found elevated levels of carbon monoxide in the basement and first floor of the home.

Firefighters were on the scene for half an hour and were assisted by the Storm Lake Police Department and Buena Vista County Paramedics.