Rockford, IL  — A two-family house on the city’s far south side was destroyed during a natural gas explosion Saturday.

The cause of the blast hasn’t been determined, according to Rockford Fire Department Investigator John McGee.

“We just had a gas leak in the basement of the house,” McGee said. “The kids were inside cooking when it exploded. No one was seriously injured but we did have a pretty big bang here so we’re going to be condemning the house.”

At least five people were inside the home in the 4300 block of Eighth Street during the explosion, which happened about 11:15 a.m., McGee said.

One person was taken to a local hospital to be treated for injuries described as minor.