El Paso, TX — One person was found dead and another taken to the hospital Wednesday morning as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning at a home in El Paso’s Upper Valley, fire department officials told ABC-7.

The victims were discovered just after 9 a.m. in the 6300 block of Westside Drive.

Investigators indicated a faulty furnace was likely to be blame for the tragedy. Fire officials recommended that El Pasoans have a licensed professional check their furnace now before more cold weather arrives.

Wednesday’s incident happened following El Paso’s coldest night of the season, with a Winter Weather Advisory from the National Weather Service in effect as temperatures plummeted below freezing as a result of an early winter storm pattern that brought snow to the Borderland just a day prior.