Yazoo City, MS – A man is dead and several other people injured after a generator was left running in an apartment in Yazoo City, police said.

The incident happened about 10:30 a.m. Thursday at the Yazoo City Senior Citizens Apartments in the 300 block of North Wise Street, police said.

Greg Noel, 44, was found unresponsive in bed inside his apartment with the generator running, Yazoo County Coroner Ricky Shivers said. Noel was pronounced dead at the scene.

Noel is believed to have died late Wednesday night of carbon monoxide poisoning, Shivers said. An autopsy will be performed.

Six residents were taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital Yazoo, where they were treated and released, Shivers said.

Police said Noel was running the generator because his lights had been cut off.

The Yazoo City Fire Department used smoke ejector fans to remove the carbon monoxide from the apartment complex, Shivers said.