Buzzards Bay, MA – Two people were taken to the hospital to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after they left a vehicle running in their garage, according to fire officials.

Bourne Assistant Fire Chief David S. Cody said that firefighters responded to a call at a home on Old Bridge Road in Buzzards Bay at 5:04 AM Tuesday. The caller complained of headaches and vomiting, Asst. Chief Cody said.

A carbon monoxide meter on one firefighter’s radio immediately went off upon entering the home, Asst. Chief Cody said. The meter registered 499 parts per million of carbon monoxide in the house. An acceptable amount is nine part per million, he said.

“Obviously, we don’t want to see any carbon monoxide in a house,” he said.

Firefighters arrived with just one ambulance, but had to call for a second ambulance when they arrived. Both people were transported to Tobey Hospital for treatment, Asst. Chief Cody said.

Once the two were evacuated, crews entered the home wearing protective gear. During a search of the home, firefighters found an SUV running inside the garage. The garage door was closed and fumes from the vehicle’s exhaust were backing up into the house, he said.

The garage door was opened and the rest of the house was ventilated, Asst. Chief Cody said. After approximately half an hour, firefighters rechecked the home and the meter registered five parts per million, he said.