Memphis, TN – A woman died Wednesday night and a child is in extremely critical condition after exposure to carbon monoxide at their apartment in East Memphis, officials said.

WREG reported that a woman and her young grandson were found unresponsive by the child’s mother inside the apartment. Relatives said they had been using a generator inside their home because they couldn’t afford utilities.

According to the Mayo Clinic, symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are:

  • Dull headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness