Sikeston, MO – Officials with the Sikeston Department of Public Safety were called out on Tuesday, Sept. 10 to what they believed was a gas leak.

Officials said when they arrived at the scene on Lee Avenue, they determined the incident was actually carbon monoxide poisoning.

It was caused by a generator located in a carport closet, according to police.

Officials said fumes traveled through the roof decking to the home.

Four people were treated and taken to an area hospital.

Officials said two officers and two dogs were also treated due to their exposure.

Sikeston DPS Fire Marshal Zak Haskin said the four people are lucky to be alive after the incident.

He said it’s important to buy a carbon monoxide detector and install it in your home.

Police said Carbon Monoxide is odorless, colorless and deadly.

They advise anyone using a generator to power a home should keep it 20 feet away from windows, vents or doors.