Town of Bergen, WI – A propane leak is the cause of a gas explosion near Stoddard that caused extensive damage to a home and sent two to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

It happened at 1:30pm in the Town of Bergen at a home on Pine Street off of County Highway K south of La Crosse. A propane leak from a dryer in the basement ignited, causing an explosion. Two people were in the home at the time. They made it out safely and were transported to Gundersen Health System with non-life-threatening injuries, according to a release from Vernon County Sheriff John Spears.

The force of the blast blew out the front window of the home and caused extensive damage to the brick facade.

Fire departments from Stoddard, Town of Shelby, Coon Valley, and Genoa all responded to the call.