Eau Claire, WI – The Eau Claire Fire Department responded to an appliance fire and explosion that hurt one person.

It happened just before 5 p.m. at the Gyro King in the 300 block of Water Street.

Crews say nothing was showing from the structure, but they could smell natural gas.

Businesses on both sides were evacuated and Water Street was closed off for about two hours

There was no fire and crews turned off the gas and ventilated the building.

One employee was hurt and taken to a local hospital.

Firefighters say damage to the building was limited to the kitchen appliance and is estimated to be $500.

Fire crews were assisted by Xcel Energy and the Eau Claire Police


The cause of the explosion is still under investigation.

One person is taken to the hospital after a reported gas leak and explosion Tuesday in Eau Claire.

It happened around 5 p.m. at the Gyro King restaurant in the 300 block of Water Street.

According to Battalion Chief Joe Kelly with Eau Claire Fire Rescue, there was no fire at the scene but a strong smell of natural gas when crews arrived.

He says Xcel Energy responded, turned the gas off, and the area is now safe.

Kelly says they don’t know yet what caused the gas leak or the extent of the victim’s injuries.

Businesses in the area are back open. The Gyro King will remain closed Tuesday night.

Get the latest updates from weau.com delivered to your browser