La Grange,NC – A gas leak was determined to have caused a La Grange home to explode in early April.
The Lenoir County Sheriff’s Office and Lenoir County Emergency Services investigated the explosion that occurred on North Forbes Street in La Grange.
The blast left one man, Robert Lee Carraway Jr., in the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center, which is part of the UNC School of Medicine.
Investigators believe the explosion was sparked in the kitchen.
The incident is similar in nature to a November explosion in Fairfield Harbour.
In that incident, the resident was working with a gas-powered dryer in their garage when an explosion sent the garage door flying, burned down the house and sent shockwaves that damaged neighbor’s homes.
The resident survived the explosion.
The family’s propane tanks had been recently filled and Craven County EMS believed a propane leak to be a factor in the accident.
The leading equipment involved in LP gas (liquified petroleum gas) structure fires are grills, hibachis and barbecues, according to the National Fire Protection Association’s website.
The NFPA suggests never storing or using propane gas cylinders larger than one pound inside the home and to have equipment inspected periodically by a professional for possible leaks or malfunctioning parts.
If you smell a strong odor of gas, it is recommended that you leave the area immediately and call the fire department from outside the home.
The Propane Education & Research Council says in the event of smelling gas to immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames, do not operate lights, appliances, telephones or cell phones as flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or fire.