Cameron County, TX — Authorities found a Cameron County man dead on Thursday morning.
Officials received a call at around 6 a.m. and responded to the corner of Lovelace Ave. and Santa Rosa Ave., south of Santa Maria High School.
At the scene, authorities found an 87-year-old man dead. The Cameron County Sheriff’s Office say the man is believed to have died due to a gas leak.
Officer found the only appliance in the house containing carbon monoxide was the stove.
Officials on the scene tell us that when an appliance is not kept clean it can lead to gas leaks and toxin exposure.
Authorities have ordered an autopsy.
Cameron County Emergency Management, La Feria Fire Department, Harlingen Fire Department, and the Cameron County Sheriff’s Office are on scene.
Officials continue motoring the area to make sure there are no lethal levels of carbon monoxide.