Holton, KS — A propane leak is believed to be the cause of a home explosion that killed a man and seriously injured his wife in rural Holton last week.

Jackson Co. Sheriff Tim Morse said Monday a great deal of propane from a nearby tank leaked into the home of Billy “Lu” Griffiths and his wife, Teri, on May 10. It is unclear what sparked the gas but Morse said the explosion is not believed to be a criminal act, WIBW-TV reported.

Billy Griffiths, 61, died in the explosion and his wife was flown to a Kansas City hospital with serious injuries.

The home was a complete loss in an explosion that residents said could be heard from miles away.

Shawnee County Commissioner Bill Riphahn said Griffiths worked with county’s Parks and Recreation for over 35 years.