Wilber, NE  — A southeast Nebraska family is safe after an explosion at their home set off a large fire.

Wilber Fire and Rescue responded to reports of a fire about 13 miles west of Wilber on County Road 1200 shortly after 4:30 Wednesday afternoon. Fire Chief Scott Havel says the house was fully engulfed and the surrounding trees and grass were burning by the time firefighters arrived. He says a propane leak into the house triggered an explosion that blew out the windows and doors and started the fire.

Nobody was in the house at the time of the explosion and there were no injuries. Fire crews stayed on scene until a little after 9:00. Western Rural Fire provided mutual aid.

The Homolka family extends their appreciation to the fire crews for their efforts and care.