Wayne, MI – Authorities say one person has died and another taken to a hospital because of carbon monoxide exposure in a Detroit-area apartment.

Fire officials say crews went to the Hickory Hollow Cooperative apartment complex in Wayne Friday evening after getting a report of two unconscious people. One was pronounced dead in the residence.

The condition of the person taken to the hospital hasn’t been released.

Fire Chief Mike Stradtner says the cause appears to be related to a chimney not properly venting because of condensation buildup. Several other units reported high carbon monoxide levels and had to be evacuated.