Middletown, DE – Four adults and one child were hospitalized for carbon monoxide inhalation in their Middletown house early Thursday morning, New Castle County Paramedics reported. One of the adults is in “serious condition,” according to paramedics.

Firefighters were called to the 100 block of Crawford St. in Middletown at 5:36 a.m. for reports of a carbon monoxide alarm, New Castle County Paramedics said. Members of the Volunteer Hose Company of Middletown arrived to find two people in the front doorway.

On the second floor of the house, New Castle County Paramedics said firefighters found three more people. One of them was unresponsive, and firefighters carried her outside before returning to help the other two.

Paramedics said a portable generator in an “enclosed space” in the back of the house likely caused the carbon monoxide to rise.