Perham, MN – Three people were taken to Perham Health this morning suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Sue Von Ruden, the Community Relations Director at Perham Health, said that “all three people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning and then released.”

Perham Fire Chief Mark Schmidt said that firefighters were asked by Perham Health to inspect the victims’ home this morning, and that the residence was deemed safe to return to.

According to the Mayo Clinic, carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that is produced by burning fuels like propane, gasoline or coal. Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when there is a build-up of carbon monoxide in the bloodstream, which can lead to serious tissue damage or death.

Everyone should have a working fire alarm and carbon monoxide detector in their home.

“As soon as that alarm goes off, evacuate and call 911,” Schmidt said, “so we can treat them and see if the house is in an unsafe condition.”