Avon, CT – Two people were taken to the hospital after elevated levels of carbon monoxide were found in a home in Avon Wednesday.

Avon Volunteer Fire Department Captain Aaron Gelber confirmed the department responded to a home in Saddle Crossing just before 2:30 p.m. and detected the issue. Two people were taken to the hospital with symptoms of CO poisoning.

A neighboring home also had elevated CO readings, but not as high as the first home.

CO gas is colorless and odorless and can be produced by basic household appliances like stoves or furnaces. Signs of CO poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, chest pain and confusion, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Russian Apartment Collapse Death Toll Rises to 37

Gelber stressed that it is important to have CO alarms and smoke alarms in your home, and that all alarms should have battery backups.