Clarksville, TN – Two people were sickened by carbon monoxide poisoning in Montgomery County Monday after using generators in enclosed areas during the power outage.

“Because carbon monoxide is not visible and is odorless, it is especially dangerous,” said Chris Proctor, Montgomery County Emergency Medical Services Operations Chief.

In this case, the victims survived. Both were treated at Tennova Healthcare for CO poisoning symptoms, according to Michelle Newell, Montgomery County spokeswoman.

But many people in Clarksville know all too well the dangers are real. In September 2011, five people died of CO poisoning while sleeping in an RV in Clarksville during an overnight festival.

The primary hazards with generators are carbon monoxide poisoning from the toxic engine exhaust, electric shock or electrocution, and fire, according to the American Red Cross. Follow the directions supplied with the generator.